How to make a gingerbread man
Have you ever wondered how to make a gingerbread man? Follow this simple recipe.
350g plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
175g brown sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
Gingerbread men cookie cutters
This recipe makes 20 gingerbread men and will take 35 minutes total to prepare and bake.
1. Sift the flour, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon. Pour in a food processor and add butter. Blend until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
2. Beat the egg and golden syrup and add to the food processor. Blend, then take out the dough, knead and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes. This makes sure your gingerbread biscuits keep their shape during baking.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°/350F/Gas 4. Line the baking trays with grease proof paper.
4. Roll the dough to 0.5cm. Cut out gingerbread shapes and place them on a tray, leaving a gap between them. If you don't have a gingerbread man cookie cutter, other shapes work just as well!
5. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, until golden-brown. Leave on the tray for 10 minutes and move on a wire rack to finish cooling. Decorate with icing and decorations if you wish.
How to make a gingerbread man – Comprehension Questions
1. How many gingerbread men does this recipe make?
2. Why do you put the dough in the fridge for 15 minutes?
3. You can only make gingerbread men using gingerbread men cookie cutters.